http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/370/asInline.html

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Home for 5 weeks!

We've been home for 5 weeks and I wanted to keep everyone updated on all that has been going on:

The last week in China:
The last week in GZ was tough. It was great because we were closer to home, we met some great people to have dinner with every night, we were able to do fun, touristy shopping, and the food was wonderful. But we were all adjusting to each other and there were many rough times. Chloe resisted the stroller and we were just plain tired of carrying her. We couldn't let her walk because there was so much construction in GZ. Eating in the restaurants was tough too- she resisted the high chair. We tried to give her a bath with some friends children- she totally freaked out. And there were many episodes of night terrors and tantrums. Each day closer to home seemed like an eternity.

And then it came: the travel day.
We woke at 5:00 AM, grabbed our last breakfast from the wonderful buffet and headed to the airport. We fought the crowds and flew for 2 1/2 hours from GZ to Shanghai. Miraculously, Chloe was OK on that flight. At this moment in time I can't even remember what we did but it was nonstop entertaining and eating and playing. Then we had a 4 hour layover in Shanghai....still we had a happy baby. We ate lunch (Burger King and Noodle Soup), looked at the shops and let Chloe push the stroller around for about 2 hours. The goal was to tire her out. So at this point we had been traveling for about 12 hours. So in Chloe's defense, she held it together for the first 12 hours. The next 12 hours were a living hell. Lee still shudders when I mention the plane ride or if I come across a sticker book or toy we used on the flight. One day I found a sticker that we used to try and entertain Chloe. I put it on Lee's dinner plate and when he saw it I though her would puke! Anyway it's all a blur now but it involved 13 hours and 9 minutes of utter chaos, including 2 hours of on and off tantrums/night terrors/grieving. I just sat and cried until the lovely angelic flight attendant handed me a Baileys on the rocks. She knew I needed a drink. She so sweetly told me that they see this all of the time. She was so nice as were most of the poor people unlucky enough to be sitting near us. Then we somehow landed in Newark....met my brother John and had an hour ride back to Long Island. Chloe panicked at the sight of the car seat so she slept in my lap for the ride home.

HOME!
When we pulled up to the house we saw such pretty decorations, balloons and banners welcoming us all home and congratulating Anna on being a big sister. The decorations were from the FCCLI- Families with Children from China (Long Island) It was so wonderful and comforting to be home, in our own house with our own food, our own TV, our own beds and our own cars. My mom and my sister Ann were there but I pushed them aside and gave Anna the most squishiest hug she's ever gotten. She looked so happy to see us- I didn't want to let her go. Thank God for my family who took such good care of her and put their own lives on hold while we traveled. Thank you Mom, Dad, Fran, Ann, Jill and John ! So, from that moment on all is a blur.

The First Weeks Home
We arrived home on Good Friday (April 2), jet lagged and overwhelmed. What did we do on that first day home? I think we actually went to Trader Joe's. I know there were some meltdowns from me, Chloe and Anna. So all the girls in the house were crying. Easter Sunday was a disaster. We had a little Easter Egg Hunt, napped and went to my moms for dinner. Chloe screamed every time we put her in the car seat. She couldn't sit at the table and eat. She was overwhelmed and threw things off of the coffee table. We went for a walk. I just remember being so completely exhausted and crying at the drop of a hat. And feeling guilty for leaving Anna for so long. My family told me she had a hard time the last week we were gone. My poor baby! That night we drove home from my mothers and Chloe was screaming in the car seat. Then she looked sleepy. But it was too early to sleep! We will rock you (Queen) came on the radio and we blasted it to drown out her crying and to keep her awake. Not in the Parenting 101 booklet but we were desperate. Well, she loved it and kicked her legs and clapped her hands. It is now one of our favorite songs to play in the car.
So on Monday Lee went back to work and I was left with Anna and Chloe. It was terrifying. What would we do? Couldn't go shopping- she hates the cart. Can't take a walk- she hates the stroller. Can't leave her alone for 1 second because she is scared and afraid of our two cats. I can't remember what we did. We were all still so jet lagged and exhausted.
I slowly took her in the sit and stand with Anna. I took her to a nice quiet CVS and walked around in the shopping cart with some M &M's. We went to a playground. We went for short trips in the car seat. We napped and all the girls slept in the same bed. Chloe has rejected the crib. Can't say that I blame her, having spent so much time in one. So Anna said "Chloe can sleep in my bed if she's scared" So she did and does. Thank Goodness we bought Anna a Full Sized bed.

Making Progress!!
Many BTDT people told me that things would slowly get better and they were right. Every day we all make some strides. Chloe now loves the car- i think the new Honda minivan helps- she loves to open and shut the window and check out the sights. She can handle shopping as long as she has food to munch on. She really enjoys walks in the stroller and looking at the flowers or cars or trees. She FINALLY has stopped crying in the bathtub! Sleep habits are unpredictable but most of the time she sleeps through the night, she naps and the night terrors are rare. Two year old tantrums are alive and kicking.
Chloe recognizes places like the parking lot of our Mommy and Me Class or Anna's School. Her face lights up when Lee comes home from work. She hugs Anna when she leaves for school. She follows me everywhere I go. She and Anna occasionally play together without fighting!

Chinese..or English...or Sign Language
Chloe had her speech-language evaluation. We all agreed that she appears to be dominant in sign language! I've been bombarding her with signs and find it hard to separate mommy from SLP. Chloe uses LOTS of signs, her recent favorite being the sign for "ice cream". She has about 10 true words in English and she tries to imitate everything. She can also follow directions in English...Go get your shoes, Find your diaper, etc. She's picking things up every day. Anna is becoming a mini-me SLP...prompting Chloe to say a word or use a sign. Too funny

Becoming a Family
I think every day we make gains and become more of a "family of four". It hasn't been so easy at times and we still have our good and bad days. I think Anna really enjoys having a sister. She loves wearing her Big Sis, Little Sis pajamas and having a live-in playmate. They are getting into alot of trouble together! Most of the time I am just plain exhausted. Thank God for Lee who comes home from work and jumps right in. And for my mom who helps whenever she can and has more patience than me. Chloe adores her. We are really getting into the groove together! Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I feel blessed.

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds like it is coming together. You truly are blessed. Happy Mother's Day friend.

    ReplyDelete