http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/370/asInline.html

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Brutal Insomnia and The Great Wall

Brutal Insomnia and The Great Wall

Two suggestions: 
  1. Go visit The Great Wall 
  2. Get more than 3 hours of sleep the night before.  I have not been sleeping since we got here...I barely slept the 13 hour and 9 minute plane ride, then I slept 3 hours the first night and 3 hours last night.  Oh plus 10 minutes in the van.  So that makes 6 hours and 10 minutes plus cat naps on the plane in 3 days..or four days plus the time change.  And I wasn't't sleeping for weeks before we so now I am a walking zombie, Christine of the Living Dead.  
We went to a Kung Fu show tonight-it was cross between a Broadway show and a karate demonstration but in a good way.  Too bad I did the nod off a million times- shouldn't keep my eyes open.  We'll see what happens tonight.
So back to the Wall.  I asked Lee to carry me and he just laughed.  It was really cold and windy today.  The Great Wall was everything I ever dreamed it would be.  Absolutely amazing.  How the heck did they build that?  And it's 4,000 miles long...and built in 221 B.C......B.C.!!!!!  Unbelievable, we were in awe.  But nobody told me about The Great Steps.  Seriously, the steepest steps I've ever seen.  And on 3 hours of sleep.  We did our best.  I am so lucky to have been able to see that in person.
Lee is loving China.  It's his first time out of the country and he is doing great.  He fits right in here.  It just suits him for some reason.  And he'll try to say anything in Chinese.  He is charming the Chinese girls.  They all giggle at him when he tries to speak Chinese.  It's very cute.  
Lee climbed down to  The Ming Tombs but I opted to practice "Chinese phrases for Adoptive Parents" on a bench.  Nee sheer baow bay...precious baby.  That's the one phrase I have memorized.  It's very strange, we'll be out sight seeing and then I'll think to myself, "Holy Mama!  In two days we are getting a little girl"  I keep thinking we are just here on vacation.  This whole process was so task oriented and involved so much waiting.  Three and a half years of waiting and obtaining papers and notarizing and consulates and fingerprints and getting crisp American bills for the orphanage and buying Cheerios in little boxes and wrapping 17 presents for Anna and so on.  And now all of the tasks are done and the waiting is almost over and in less than 48 hours we will be welcoming a tiny little toddler girl into our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Christine!
    You and Lee are amazing...hope we get to see you and meet you new little daughter one day...
    She is so lucky to be part of such a great family!
    Best of all wishes...

    ReplyDelete